Saturday 29 December 2012

The Sound of Pouring Rain



This month marks the end of another  year, and if you’re anything like me you’ve had your fair share of disappointment and also miracles that may seem few and far between. But it’s those tiny winy miracles that have kept me pressing on. I’ve hoped for many things- I’ve prayed, trusted, and waited patiently on God for them to become a reality. Some of them have come to pass, but others I believe, are still in the making, waiting for God’s appointed time.

A few days ago a friend reminded me of the story of Elijah…there had been famine and drought in the land of Samaria. But the prophet Elijah proclaimed that he had heard “the sound of an abundance of rain”.  He sent his servant out to the sea, and six times the servant came back and said “I see nothing”.  The prophet kept sending him back, until on the seventh time he came with a different report.  He said he saw a little cloud, the size of a man’s hand. Elijah then quickly sent him on his way to avoid being overtaken by the rain.
Now this here sounds a little ridiculous. First of all the land had not seen a drop of rain for over three years. My guess is that they had even stopped hoping for it to pour. They no longer checked the clouds to see if they were gathering. The people had found alternate ways to cope; some had probably moved on to other regions in order to survive. Then along comes this prophet who declared that it would rain? And not just rain, but a heavy down pour! Amazingly as the story goes, the heavens darkened as the clouds gathered, and there was great rain in the land.

As I continue to reflect on the year that has been I think of the many ‘almost victories’ that I had. Countless opportunities that seemed like they would be my big break on things I’ve prayed about and just when it looked like everything was in place, it all fell through. I also recall the countless times I have cried before the Lord; I have prayed, and fasted, named, and claimed things and believed in faith that I would receive them. And then waited day after day, month after month, and now another year and still not where I wanted to be. So when my friend reminded me about Elijah I felt a little like the children of Samaria. Fatigued, doubtful, and yes, a little if not very skeptical. But truth be told, over the years I’ve seen glimpses of what amazing things God can do if I let Him do it His way and in His time.

I’m writing this unafraid of exposing my own insecurities, failures, and vulnerabilities  for the sake of anyone who is at the end of their line; those of you who are so weary of walking in the wilderness, barely surviving with only enough for the moment. I write this for those who are in despair and have stopped hoping for change; for a miracle. I want to tell you that there is the sound of an abundance of rain. Go on out in faith and look at the clouds…they are gathering. Do you perceive it? No? Not yet? Go out again…do you see it now? It’s small…the size of a fist. But it’s there. It’s your miracle. It’s a sign that God has not forgotten you. Dig your trenches, and prepare for the rain. Your mind may not believe it, but I sure hope your spirit does. May God give you the courage to dream again; dare to believe everything God has put in your spirit to believe. Your answer, your dream, your healing, your peace, your joy, your desire- it’s all on its way. There is power in waiting- not anxiously, but expectantly. And just like Elijah, don’t waver in your faith when there seems to be a delay. If God said it, beloved it’s only a matter of time. 

As we cross over to a new year, may your spirit rise to a new level. May you find the courage to face the year 2013 fearlessly. I believe that it’s going to be a great year, but I also believe that it will take total obedience and trust in God. Remember that He is not a man that He should lie; whatever He says, He does. Don’t short-circuit or sabotage your destiny by allowing fear and doubt to make a home in your heart.
May the Lord cover your shame. May He put a new song in your mouth, and a new spring to your step. May every promise that’s waiting fulfillment in your life come to pass. May God do exceedingly, abundantly, above all that you could ever ask or think! May you be soaked and saturated by the abundant rain of the Lord.

Happy New Year!!

Kambua M.

13 comments:

If you were encouraged by this article, kindly consider sharing it!